30 Years of the RCOphth
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists commemorates 30 years as a College on 14 April 2018.
The concept of a College began with a steering group including serving and past presidents, honorary treasurers, secretaries and members of the Ophthalmological Society of the UK and the Faculty of Ophthalmologists, as well as a solicitor and administrator. In March 1985 an Electoral Reform Services ballot to all members of the two bodies, resulted in nearly 70% of members voting in favour of forming a new College.
Many drafts of the Charter and Ordinances to the Privy Council later, HM the Queen granted a Charter for the formation of a College of Ophthalmologists and Professor Wallace Foulds became the first President in 1988.
The Royal Licence for the use of the term ‘Royal’ came five years later in 1993.
Today, The Royal College of Ophthalmologists is recognised as the voice of ophthalmology in the UK, championing excellence in setting professional standards, education, training and examinations. More recently, the RCOphth has expanded into areas of directly influencing policy and commissioning bodies in the health sector to help shape the hospital eye service for the benefit of patients and the profession.
Celebrating our 30th anniversary on the 14 April 2018, the programme of activities include:
- A new essay prize for OST Trainees – now closed, winners will receive prizes and certificates at the Admission Ceremony in September
- A celebratory evening reception at the Tate, Liverpool during RCOphth Congress – tickets may be booked for this upon registration for Congress
- Special edition lapel pins available for purchase by members – previews of these will be available to view at Congress
- A 30 Year Anniversary edition the scientific Journal EYE
- #30YearsofRCOphth for our social media channels where our members can share their reflections on what 30 Years of the College has meant for them and the profession overall
- Video interviews with delegates and speakers at this year’s Congress regarding the College’s anniversary
We look forward to celebrating our 30th Anniversary with our members.