The Academic Sub-committee exists:
- To promote academic education and research to ensure that all ophthalmologists are equipped to participate in research and clinical trials throughout their professional careers.
- To build research networks and academic communities and to encourage links between NIHR Clinical Study Groups, the College and Schools.
- To be responsible for establishing and maintaining a mentorship scheme to develop academic trainees.
- To act as advocates for research training and research funding.
- To represent the needs of academic trainees and to ensure that they have sufficient clinical expertise and competencies to have a range of options at the conclusion of their training.
- To raise the profile of academic ophthalmology and to maintain good working relationships with other academic institutions and funding bodies including the Medical Research Council, the Wellcome Trust and the Academy of Medical Sciences.