Admission to Examinations
Applications for admission to examinations should be addressed to:
Head of the Examinations Department
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists
18 Stephenson Way
London, NW1 2HD
Tel: +44 (0) 20 3770 5344
Email: [email protected]
The following notes on the regulations concerning applications for admission to the examinations are published for the guidance of candidates:
1. Completed application forms for admission to an examination must reach the Examinations Department no later than 5.00pm on the closing date, namely approximately EIGHT – TEN WEEKS before the exam is held. It is not possible to accept applications received after the closing date.
2. The application forms must be accompanied by the fee and such certification as is required by the regulations. If you cannot supply all the relevant information you must contact the Examinations Department or supply a covering letter as to the reasons why. All information must be received BEFORE the closing date, otherwise the candidate will be withdrawn from the examination and forfeit their examination fee.
3. Upon receipt of application the Examinations Department will send all candidates a written receipt. Detailed instructions including written and clinical examination dates will be dispatched to candidates with a confirmed examination entry within ten days after the closing date for receipt of applications.
4. Applicants wishing to withdraw their entry for an examination must notify the Examinations Department in writing by 5.00pm on the closing date for receipt of applications. Fees cannot be refunded after this time.
5. Applicants must apply for entry visas for the United Kingdom in good time prior to the date of the examination. If a candidate is refused a visa after the closing date of receipt of applications they will forfeit their examination fee. If written evidence of the refusal of a visa is provided, the Examinations Committee will consider requests for candidates to withdraw their examination entry subject to the receipt of a 20% administration charge.
6. Candidates unable to attend an examination will forfeit their examination fee. In exceptional circumstances, the Examinations Committee will consider requests to withdraw a candidate’s entry to the examination sitting subject to receipt of written supplementary evidence (e.g. a medical certificate, a death certificate for a close family member) and subject to a 20% administration charge (+ an extra £50 fee to cover the cancellation cost incurred by Prometric for written exams only). Please note that lack of preparation is not considered a suitable reason to withdraw an examination entry.
7. Candidates presenting for an examination or assessment are deemed to be fit and healthy to do so. If you are not well enough to give a fair reflection of your skills and knowledge in the examination, you should not attempt it.
8. All candidates will receive feedback regarding their individual performance in the examinations.
9. Results are posted by First Class Mail with the Pass List being displayed on the College Website. Results are only released upon approval of the Senior Examiner. We regret that examination results are not available by telephone or email.
10. From mid-2019, the Part 1 FRCOphth and Part 2 FRCOphth Written examinations will be taken at Prometric computer testing centres, which are available all across the globe. Please see the below link for the list of worldwide Prometric Testing Centres:
Please note that the following UK, Ireland and worldwide centres have been pre-allocated for the FRCOphth Part 1 and Part 2 Written examinations:
UK and Ireland:
Liverpool, Southampton, London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds, Guernsey, Birmingham, Basildon and Dublin.
Cairo, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok, Jakarta, Chennai, Nigeria, Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago), Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Kuwait City, Islamabad, Lahore, Bucharest, Cape Town (Claremont), Durban and Johannesburg.
If a candidate wishes to sit the exam in another Prometric testing centre that is not listed in the pre-allocation list above but features on the list of worldwide Prometric testing centres, they can request this centre by contacting the examinations department at the College. The examinations department will contact Prometric to determine the availability of this testing centre. Please note that availability for these non-pre-allocated centres is not guaranteed and will be down to the availability as informed by Prometric. Any of these requests need to be made BEFORE the examination closing date.