Part 1 Fellowship
The examination comprises of theoretical papers based on learning outcomes of the OST curriculum appropriate to the first two years of training as follows:
- A 3 hour Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) paper of 120 questions consisting of one best answer out of four options
- A 2 hour Constructed Response Question (CRQ) Paper, consisting of 12 questions.
From 1 August 2013, candidates are permitted a maximum of six attempts in which to pass this examination. Examination attempts prior to August 2013 do not count towards the number of attempts available.
Candidates sitting this examination before commencing OST should note that a pass in this examination will not count towards CCT if taken out of training unless the candidate enters or re-enters the training programme within 7 years of passing.
Candidates who have entered Ophthalmic Specialist Training (OST) must have passed this examination by the end of the second year of run-through training.
Examination Venue (Prometric computer-based testing centres)
From October 2019, the Part 1 FRCOphth Written examination will be taken at Prometric computer testing centres, which are available all across the globe. Please see the below link for the list of worldwide Prometric Testing Centres:
Please note that the following UK, Ireland and worldwide centres have been pre-allocated for the FRCOphth Part 1 examination which means that they have been block booked for the RCOphth examinations on that day.
UK and Ireland:
Liverpool, Southampton, London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds, Guernsey, Birmingham, Basildon and Dublin.
Cairo, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok, Jakarta, Chennai, Nigeria, Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago), Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Kuwait City, Islamabad, Lahore, Bucharest, Cape Town (Claremont), Durban and Johannesburg.
If a candidate wishes to sit the exam in another Prometric testing centre that is not listed in the pre-allocation list above but features on the list of worldwide Prometric testing centres, they can request this centre by contacting the examinations department at the College. The examinations department will contact Prometric to determine the availability of this testing centre. Please note that availability for these non-pre-allocated centres is not guaranteed as numbers of seats for each testing centre are limited and will be down to the availability as informed by Prometric. Any of these requests need to be made BEFORE the examination closing date. Candidates will book their exam place on the understanding of this and CANNOT withdraw from the examination and ask for a refund if their chosen testing centre is not available when there are available places in other testing centres.
Both Paper 1 (MCQ) and Paper 2 (CRQ) will take place on the same day with a one-hour lunch break in-between.
Candidates will apply for the Part 1 FRCOphth Written examination via the RCOphth website and then book their Prometric testing centre via Prometric.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not contact the College if you encounter any technical difficulties when booking your testing centre place on the Prometric website. This is not our website and you will have to contact Prometric directly for assistance. ***
The steps to apply for the exam are as follows:
- Once the closing date for entries has passed, the candidate will receive a confirmation letter from the College detailing their confirmation of their exam place and their candidate ID.
- The candidate will then contact Prometric either by telephone or online to book their place at their chosen testing centre, using their candidate ID which will be matched to the list of candidates and their IDs that the College will have given to Prometric.
- When contacting Prometric, the candidate will be given a list of availability of testing centres in various locations across the world. They will have to quote their full candidate name and candidate ID number.
- Please note that the candidate’s first choice of testing centre may not be available if the candidate delays in booking. We would therefore strongly encourage candidates to contact Prometric to make their booking as soon as possible upon receiving their exam confirmation letter. Availability in any testing centre is not guaranteed, especially those requested that are not on the pre-allocation list.
- Prometric operate a 21 day policy deadline in booking an exam place so the candidate will have until 21 days before the date of the exam in which to book their place. No booking can be made after this deadline has passed and if the candidate fails to book beforehand, then their exam sitting will be withdrawn and they will lose their examination fee.
- Candidates CANNOT withdraw from the examination and ask for a refund if their chosen testing centre is not available.
Full details can be found in the Information Pack below.
Pass Mark Setting
The MCQ paper is pass mark set in advance using the Ebel method. The CRQ is pass mark set using the borderline candidate method. All questions are reviewed in the light of performance and modified accordingly. All examinations are pass mark set. The pass mark setting methods quoted are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the College.
To pass the Part 1 FRCOphth examination, candidates are required to pass both components (MCQ and CRQ) although some degree of cross compensation is permitted as outlined below. If awarded a fail, candidates must re-sit the entire examination, even if a pass was previously achieved in any component
If a candidate marginally fails one written paper (within one standard error of measurement of the pass mark), their total marks for both papers will be added together. If this mark exceeds the combined pass marks for both papers, they will be allowed to pass the examination.
Results will be released approximately four – five weeks after the examination, once verified by the Senior Examiner. Candidates are not permitted to telephone the College for examination results. All results will be sent to candidates by first class post and the pass list will be displayed on the College website.
For further information, please see the Part 1 FRCOphth Information Pack:
2019 Part 1 FRCOphth Information Pack
Policy on Allegations of Cheating and Misconduct 2018
To apply please click the purple box, on the right-hand side, above.