Enrolling with the Royal College
If you have been appointed to an Ophthalmic Specialist Training (OST) post within the UK – whether run-through or Locum Appointment for Training (LAT) – you will receive an email from the Membership department containing an enrolment link. We will tell you when the system is ready for your application.
If you have not received an invite to enrol within one month of your start date please contact the Education and Training department.
It is important that membership is maintained throughout training as failure to do so will result in the removal of access to the e-Portfolio and all other benefits.
In addition to the standard benefits of membership, below are examples of specific ways in which trainees benefit from the work of the College:
- The work of the Ophthalmologists in Training Group, which is supported by the College
- CCT recommendations to GMC at completion of training subject to satisfactory Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP)
- Approval of out of programme training or research towards the CCT , which the GMC will not approve without College support
- College support to Regional Education Advisers, Training Programme Directors and College Tutors in their local work with trainees
- Travel Awards and Scholarships administered by the College
- Availability of advice on education and training issues
- Curriculum review and assessment development
- CPD recording system
- Reduced fee for attendance at the College Annual Congress
- Access to the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic News and Education (O.N.E.™) Network, including full text access to five journals: Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Clinics of North America and Survey of Ophthalmology, as well as the entire Wills Eye Manual.
Also see the OST information page.