Move to Online Proctored Exams for FRCOphth Part 1 and Part 2 Written examinations
20 May 2020
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists will be moving to a new method of online proctored exam delivery for its FRCOphth Part 1 and Part 2 Written examinations. This is in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the likelihood that social distancing will be in place for the foreseeable future. This means the current models of exam delivery will have to change in to meet the reduction on capacity.
How proctored exams work
The move to online proctored exams alleviates this problem, whilst maintaining robust exam delivery and security. The benefits of proctored examinations are:
- candidates will take our written examinations in the comfort of their own home or workplace and are monitored remotely by a live proctor
- every candidate that is accepted for the exam is guaranteed a https://curriculum.rcophth.ac.uk/examinations/place
- the exam results are processed as they currently are now and with the same high standards in quality and assurance
Part 1 FRCOphth 2020 date has moved
In order to prepare for the new format:
- the Part 1 FRCOphth examination will be pushed back from its original date of 5 October 2020 to 26 October 2020
- the revised opening date for applications will be 13 July 2020
- the results will be issued on 26 November 2020
The slight delay to this exam will enable successful implementation of this new style of written exams for a secure ongoing future delivery. The next Part 2 FRCOphth Written examination also delivered via online proctoring will take place as planned on 7 December 2020.
Full information about online proctored exam delivery for candidates and other news about RCOphth examinations will be published on the RCOphth website.